Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2017

Day #1: Off and Running -- Like a Pretzel

     Today got started a little different than I had planned in my grand scheme of productivity.  I stayed up until 3am last night because I was so excited about today.  I downloaded "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing," by Marie Kondo, following a suggestion from both my sister-in-law and a local friend.  They were spot on with this book!  I felt like I was reading my own writing; she is a Japanese "me" with the exception of how she learned the tricks at an early age.  How she feels is how I have felt as an adult, but I just didn't try things the way she did - until now.  Long story short, Vanessa did not wake up at 5am like she should have and so here I am after lunch and trying to squish in blog, cleaning kitchen, home school, feeding animals, getting my husband off to work after working all night, fighting kids, and a yard that is melting because our sub-zero temps just decided to climb to 28degrees.  Maybe this is why my house is a wreck.  
     Now, I am rethinking my plan for the next 5weeks because according to Ms. Kondo, I am headed down the same road I've always been on and I'm seemingly destined to fail at becoming clutter-free again.  Her words rang out to me like they were on a loud speaker.  YES!!  Everyone says "if you do the same thing over and over, you will get the same result," and being scientific-minded I know that is true.  So before I do anything here, I have to get my plan straight.  I have done this very same organizing in every home I have owned and here I am again in the same place.  In fact, I have things stored in my garage that were packed up in my home when I was 21 years old (I am 46 now!!).  Yes, I actually said THE SAME THINGS are packed up.  Apparently, I am going to get the same result this time and I refuse to waste time on that because I see where that method has gotten me, and I want more peaceful time with my family and less time moving junk around. 
     I was supposed to wake up today and start decluttering and organizing our master bedroom and our movie room (which is across the hall).  I thought I would work in the same general area of the house and move from one area to another.  I won't give away Mrs. Kondo's secrets because she is trying to sell her book (which is well worth it so far!) that describes her process, known as KonMari (based on a combination of her last and first name).  But, based off what I read so far I need to restructure my plan.
     Also,this morning my husband tells me that he has changed his plans for this weekend and now he wants to work on our daughter's bedroom. That is definitely going to take up my time because that means painting, putting in flooring, closing off a wall, and building a closet.  I am thinking it would be smart to start with her room and another room and have a partner to share this with (for that room at least).  I have to be flexible and I don't like to be flexible. I like things my way so I prayed about it and God is Good!  Almost instantaneously I had this vision of a straight line - it is NOT flexible, it is efficiently going somewhere, it is clearly seen, it is mission-oriented and it does not get off track.  Then, next to it I see a pretzel.  It used to be a straight line of dough but instead of heading off in it's own direction, it got twisted back and around onto itself.  It's energy is centralized, it is soft and comforting.  The path of the pretzel brings all of its salt, flavor, and love right back to itself (and it's family -- if you see where I'm headed with this) and it's structure is strong all because it was once flexible.  I want to be a pretzel to my family; not a rigid line. Specifically, I want to be an organized pretzel.
     One huge lesson for perfectionists........... LEARN TO FLEX!  But first, go buy this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment