Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Day #2: Feeling Kinda Chicken

    
Well, I got up on time today at least and I finished the book.  I am so motivated that I want to scream and just pack up everything I own onto the trailer outside and drive through town giving it away.  All except my quilting stuff, my ribbon, my fabric, all my books, my clothes that I might be able to wear next year when I lose weight, my six Bible study books that I'm working on, my house plants, the kids' baby things, and.... :).  Riiiight.
     I at least have the sense to know that this thing feels like more than I can do alone.  The problem is that I can't ask Will because he is (albeit very loving to us) a non-sentimental minimalist who feels no tie to anything material -- left alone in my "stuff" he is my worst nightmare.  So, I can't ask him for help but I need some.  A friend has agreed to come over tomorrow and help me decide how to organize things once I KonMari my house.  After she leaves, I plan to do the first step that I learned from the book, and get all of my clothes in one location at one time.
   Yep, that's what I said.  My instructions are to pile up all my clothes in one pile.  This includes shoes, snow boots, snow gear, hats, belts, socks, tops, pants, skirts, dresses, jackets, absolutely every single thing that I own that is wearable.  I'll put it in one spot and I will go through every single piece, touching it and deciding to keep or donate.  My bed won't hold all that stuff especially with the snow gear and I'm scared to put it in the living room floor because I already wonder what happens if (when) I get sidetracked and don't get it all sorted? How long will that pile lay there before we all go crazy? 
     I have a huge decision to make tonight and tomorrow before 10am.  Will I do the original challenge or KonMari?  The original plan was to break the house into 10 sections and organize two sections a week, finishing up in five weeks.  I had my head wrapped around that already and was very excited about it.  The KonMari method is so alien to me.  It involves organizing categories of stuff all at once, no matter what room.  That sounds like a huge mess I'll make and my family (who is already tired of my piles) is going to absolutely freak out.  I'm very busy with "life" and I'm scared to take on a crazy new idea that I'm not 100% will work for me.
     Do you smell the smoke?  It's my brain OVERTHINKING again.  This morning I was ready to become a consultant for this method of organizing and now I'm coming up with every reason I can to get away from it.  That's how I know it's the right thing for me to do - because it feels scary.  Perfectionists do not like scary - they like tried and true - actually they like for other people to try and prove it and then they may try it (within their own parameters of course).  Obviously, if I was efficient at organizing, it would have been done here already, so this time I'm going to trust the lady who has a 3month waiting list of people waiting for her to come to their homes and help them.
    Tomorrow..... I make a huge, scary, ugly, dirty, chaotic pile of my clothes in my living room.  If anybody wants to see it, come over at lunch time and bring your camera because my living room is going to be trashed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment